Concerned About a Person
If this is an emergency that requires immediate assistance, call 911 or University Police at 301-405-3333. This includes emergencies such as possession of a weapon, violence, destruction of property, or suicidal ideation.
The BETA (Behavior Evaluation and Threat Assessment) Team evaluates reports about University of Maryland community members who are concerning, disruptive, or threatening.
We bring expertise from various functional areas: public safety (policing), mental health (psychiatry and social work), counseling (psychology), student conduct, and student affairs, faculty affairs and human resources to assess concerning behavior and to develop strategies to support the well-being and academic success of all students.
It is rare for community members to be disruptive, threatening, or violent.
But sometimes people behave in ways that others may consider concerning or alarming.
Examples may include:
- Being disorderly, disruptive, or verbally aggressive- expressing uncontrollable anger, hostility, or frustration;
- Acting bizarrely, disturbed, or odd for that person;
- Threatening physical harm – in person, on the phone, or electronically;
- Being a threat to oneself - suicidal ideation; and/or
- Possessing a weapon, being violent, or damaging property*
What to do if you have a concern
- If you are concerned about a member of the campus community for whatever reason, contact the police or any member of the BETA Team.
- Call 911 or University Police in emergencies such as weapon possession, violence (including suicide threat or attempt), immediate disruption or property damage.
Early intervention is important. See something, say something, do something. We invite you to review our resource on how to assist those in distress.
- 301-314-BETA (2382)
- The BETA Team lines are not monitored 24/7. Please contact University Police for immediate assistance.
- Call 911 or University Police at 301-405-3333 for emergencies such as possession of a weapon, violence, or destruction of property.
- Dial 911 from campus phones
- Dial 301-405-3555 from any off-campus phone
- Dial #3333 from any Verizon Wireless, ATT, Sprint/Nextel or T-Mobile cell phone