Student Employee Awards
Each year the Division of Student Affairs offers a number of Student Affairs Tuition Scholarship Awards to undergraduate students who have made a significant impact on the quality of life for students and/or employees at the University of Maryland. This year we are pleased to announce that two $1000 scholarship awards are available.
- Award Application Process Opens: Monday 02/21/2022
- Deadline for Student Nomination by Employers: Friday 03/04/2022 by 5:00 pm
- Students Notified of Nomination: Saturday 03/05/2022
- Deadline for Student Nominee Applications: Friday 03/18/2022 by 5:00 pm
- Finalists Interviews: Sunday 04/03/2022 - Friday 04/08/2022
- Award Selection: Tuesday 04/12/2022
To be eligible for an award, the student employee must be working within the Division of Student Affairs. Evidence of commitment to the job, leadership, quality of work, accomplishments, and a genuine dedication to providing service to students and/or the university community through the student’s position will be indicators of a nominee’s qualifications. All nominees need to be in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.8 or higher. All departments within the division are encouraged to nominate students they feel are qualified based on the criteria.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria for Student Nominees
- You must be a current student employee of a department within the Division of Student Affairs, and must have been employed for at least one full semester prior to the start of the 2022 Spring semester. Summer employment will be considered a semester.
- The department MUST fall under the Division of Student Affairs. For example, student affairs offices that fall under other divisions (e.g., Academic Affairs) are NOT eligible.
- Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student taking nine or more credits at the University of Maryland during the 2022 Spring semester. Students graduating at the end of the 2022 Spring semester are eligible.
- Must be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.80 or better).
1. Student Nomination by Employer
Nominations must be submitted online by 5:00pm on Friday 03/04/2022. The nomination will serve as a reference letter on the student’s behalf and asks for specific examples of outstanding service. Employers must be Division of Student Affairs staff.
It may be helpful to prepare your nomination in advance by creating your answers in a separate document, so you can cut-and-paste your responses. Please limit your responses to each of the following questions to 250 words or less.
- Please describe why the student employee is deserving of the Student Affairs Outstanding Student Employee Award.
- Please list and/or describe the employee's job responsibilities.
- Please provide specific examples of how the employee has demonstrated leadership, commitment, quality, and shown initiative in their position.
- Please provide no more than two examples of how this employee has gone above and beyond the normal duties of their position.
- Is there any other information you are aware of that the committee should take into consideration?
2. Student Nominee Application
After the nomination process has concluded, student records will be verified to ensure eligibility of all nominations. Eligible students will be contacted, via e-mail, and required to complete an on-line application confirming interest in the award. The application will ask the student to identify what he or she has learned through the position and describe his or her contributions and/or qualities that deserve recognition.
The application will be due by 5:00pm on Friday 03/18/2022. Nominees are not required to apply for the award, but nominated students must complete the student application to be eligible to receive the award!
2A. Instructions for Student Nominees
You may find it helpful to prepare in advance by creating your answers in a separate document, so you can cut-and-paste your responses to the application questions below. Be sure to cite specific details and examples demonstrating how you are deserving of the award. The committee will be looking for evidence of commitment, leadership, quality of work, accomplishments, and a genuine dedication to providing service to students and/or the University community through your position. Please limit your response to each of the following questions to 250 words or less.
- Describe why you are deserving of the Student Affairs Outstanding Student Employee Award.
- Describe your job duties in the department where you work.
- What skills have you learned through your student employment position, and how will you use them in your future career?
- Please provide no more than three specific examples of contributions, accomplishments, and/or ways you have demonstrated leadership, shown initiative, and been a role model for others in your department.
- Please submit a copy of your resume.
3. Attend In-Person Interview If Selected
A selection committee will review nominees’ materials and will conduct interviews with selected finalists. Interviews will be conducted Sunday 04/03/2022 - Friday 04/08/2022.
If you have any questions regarding the selection process, please contact the committee chair:
Jeffrey Mangrum (firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-314-8044).
|Jeffrey Mangrum, Chair||Dining Services|
|Amanda Bogdan||Resident Life|
|Montrell Cade||University Recreation and Wellness|
|Valerie LaHoud||Adele H. Stamp Student Union|
|Foster McDaniel||Adele H. Stamp Student Union|
|Michael Martucci||Career Center|
|Nancy O’Rourke||Conference and Visitor Services|
|Tori Eichenlaub||Resident Life|
|Maeve McKinney||University Recreation and Wellness|