Terp Farm Invites You to Join Their Flower CSA
Terp Farm invites the UMD community to take part in its Flower CSA, a student-developed project that produces specialty cut flower varieties for bouquets and bulk stem purchases by students, faculty, and staff. Flower production upholds Terp Farm's values of sustainability by rejuvenating the environment and the community we belong to.
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a locally based distribution system that creates a direct link between farmers and consumers. Individuals pre-purchase a “share” of the farm’s harvest in the spring to help the farm reduce the burden of up-front costs (such as seeds, tillage, and other inputs) before the season starts. This mutually beneficial partnership helps ensure a more secure market for local farmers while also providing members with consistent access to sustainably grown crops. By joining the Terp Farm Cut Flower CSA, you benefit from a 20% savings on each bouquet you receive.
How It Works
Terp Farm’s Flower CSA provides subscribers with bouquets of fresh, locally-grown flowers on eight weeks of their choice during the growing season. The CSA runs for 15 weeks from mid-June to mid-October. Members will be expected to pick up their pre-paid flower bouquets at the University of Maryland Farmers Market, in Tawes Plaza Garden, Wednesdays 11:00 am–2:00 pm.
What's New for 2019
- A Free Choice Pick-up system - pick up your eight bouquets on whichever weeks you want all season long! We are introducing a punch-card system.
- Exciting varieties of flowers that will bring new colors and textures, like 'Timeless Mix' Ageratum and Bells of Ireland.
- More sunflowers!
- Two new student workers whom you can meet at market: Addie (IAA & PLSC) and Claudia (IAA).
What's Staying the Same
- Our prices - no increase from 2018.
- Picking up at our booth at the Farmers Market at Maryland.
- Two returning student workers: Edwin (IAA & PLSC) and Kai (AREC).
How to Sign Up
Turn in your payment at the Farmers Market table or the Dining Services business office. The full fee is due by June 5, 2019. Payment may be made with cash, credit card, or by check made payable to “University of Maryland” (noted: Terp Farm CSA).
Not Ready to Join?
You can also purchase flowers at our farmer's market stand all season long whenever you'd like - no contract needed. Stop by to say 'hello!'
We hope you will join us on a Terp Farm floral journey this year.